Evaluation and Collaborative Research Initiatives
In order to evaluate the success of our programs, EMYS will partner, when the opportunities arise, with organizations and institutions that have formal research capacities (including ethics committees). EMYS clients who are potential research participants are assured that:
- their participation is voluntary; and should they choose not to participate, their refusal will not compromise their treatment;
- they have the right to withdraw from the study at any time;
- they will have an understanding of the nature of the research project and what will be required from them;
- they will have an understanding of any possible harm or discomfort, as well as the benefit of the study;
- the confidentiality of their identity and information is guaranteed.
If you are interested in pursuing a collaborative research initiative with EMYS, please contact: Jessica Weiser at 416-438-9419 ext. 262.
Evaluation and Collaborative Research Initiatives - On-line Counseling: A Review of the Literature
East Metro Youth Services (EMYS) conducted a literature review to inform EMYS’ online counselling service by identifying the potential merits and risks of online counselling, summarizing the existing research with respect to online counselling, and outlining suggestions for conducting online counselling in a manner that maximizes its benefits and minimizes its risks. The primary focus of this review is online counselling by asynchronous e-mail, given that it is the most frequently used mode of online counselling (Chester & Glass, 2006) and it is the mode currently being used by EMYS; however, other modes of online communication, such as private chat, text messaging and videoconferencing, will be discussed. In addition, this review provides information regarding the provision of online counselling to clients of all ages but will also highlight information applicable to youth, where available.
Click here to download full report.
On-line counseling: a review of the literature
Click here for the review